Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Record-breaking bid at S & S Auction

If it wasn't for the lovely weather or some money-making momentum, Repaupo, New Jersey would be the last place I wanna visit. It was last week, after an enduring drive I ended up at this hillbilly (sorry I can't help) place with Sam.
I immediately spotted this signed Tommi Parzinger sideboard. It's lacquered in off-white with brass decorated pulls, raised on an ebonized block base, with a burned signature of "Parzinger Original" mark in the upper left drawer. Estimated between $3000 - $5000 with a starting bid at $2000.


After waiting almost 7 hours to finally start the cataloged auction, I unwillingly noticed every phone was occupied just before the lot came up. The lot started at $3000 with an internet absentee bid (stupid, I know), and quickly raised to $8,000 in no time. Just when I thought it's about to close, Sam raised his bid to $10,000. That surely pissed off a lot of people, and it now officially turned into a brutal bidding war. I couldn't help but whisper to Sam "you'd better get this one, I'll chip in half the money". After Phil (auctioneer)'s intense back-and-forth, I lost track how much it was at lol... Except it was at $16,000!!!! ... unfortunately that didn't scare our opponent away, he immediately followed with the next increment, $17,000. I knew we had to draw the line, and that's it, the lot closed at $17,000. Next thing you know the audience was clapping so excitingly I thought everyone had an orgasm haha. So we just set the bid record for a Tommi Parzinger signed piece. Too bad we didn't get it but it surely was nerve-wreckingly exciting.
Ofc it's only a matter of time it goes on news...

1 comment:

  1. good job!! ...in terms of the bid up!!\(^o^)/~
    --rui

    ReplyDelete