Friday, October 14, 2011

Classic glamour - Biedermeier furniture

If you're an antiques junkie like me, you'd perhaps unravel every facets of the elegant French Louis period furniture, or the regal Italian rococo style, or the austere English Georgian look. I, however, rarely hear about the remarks on the German Biedermeier furniture. In fact, I wasn't really a fan myself until lately - simply stunned to see a gorgeous Biedermeier secretary featured in a beautiful Veranda spread.



Biedermeier style was introduced in the early 19th century, influenced by the French Empire period, I guess it's reasonable to say they share similar characteristics in terms of design, whereas the former depicts a more masculine take. A lot of cherry, burl, ash woods are used, the look is usually minimal and clean, but should not be mistaken to be tasteless. I'd say Biedermeier style is a perfect blend of historicism and utilitarianism, the result is classy and glamourous.



Source:
www.1stdibs.com


xoxo,
beibei

No comments:

Post a Comment